- Three Kings
- Deceased Characters
- Upper S-Class Demons
- Super Centenarian
- Political Leaders
- Former Villains
- Edit source
- View history
Raizen ( 雷禅 , Raizen ? ) was part of a special type of elite and powerful demon called a Mazoku (loosely meaning the "Tribe of Devils" , translated as Demonkin in FUNimation's subtitles of the original Japanese anime). He was also one of The Three Kings of Makai and Yusuke Urameshi 's ancestral father.
In the anime, prior to Yusuke's departure to Demon World, he is called Toshin by Hokushin . As this can be translated to mean "Battle God", it is likely a title rather than a surname. He is also called the "Master of War" or "Warrior God" depending on the translation.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 4.1 Chapter Black Saga
- 4.2 Three Kings Saga
- 5.1 Abilities
- 5.2 Techniques
- 7 References
- 8 Navigation
Appearance [ ]
Despite being thousands of years old, Raizen's body remains young and strong, consisting of a lean yet muscular appearance. As the centuries progressed, however, Raizen became more and more emaciated as he starved himself because of his experience in Ningenkai . His clothes include a lime headband, a lime obi sash, and white smoke pants. Accompanied by long, white hair, his facial features consist of a long, thin nose, canine teeth, a tattoo below his left eye, and a pained, craving smile. During the flashbacks, he was wearing a blue sleeveless loose yukata.
Personality [ ]
Though he once fed on humans for sustenance, Raizen, after falling in love with a human woman in a feudal time, vows never to eat humans again. True to his promise, Raizen's body begins to slowly eat itself to death, eventually causing the growl of his stomach to be heard throughout Demon World, according to Hokushin.
Despite his brutal reputation as a warrior and a savage beast who feeds on humans, Raizen is perceptive enough to know and acknowledge the depth of capabilities and true motives harbored by the other two kings and has a very loving and caring side to his personality, as seen when he implored Yusuke to lead Hokushin and the rest of his subordinates well in Raizen's place, and though he may not seem like it, he is a man of his word and honor, keeping his promises even when someone he has made a promise to is no longer there to hold him to it. He has chosen to keep his promise of never again eating a human to the only woman he has ever loved over eating, staying strong, and thereby remaining in greater power and control of the Demon World forever. Yusuke did not realize how proud he was of his forefather until he heard the words of Raizen's comrades saying how honorable he was. Even in death, Raizen is always there to give the best advice that he can give Yusuke and guide his descendant to the right direction. It is hinted that Yusuke sees Raizen as the closest father-figure he never had, considering the fact his biological father was never there for him for most of his childhood. Yusuke even called him "dad".
History [ ]
Back when demons and humans lived together, Raizen was the most-powerful of the Demon Kings, but was chased into hiding by a league of powerful demons. Enki claimed that, at his peak, Raizen was the most powerful demon who had ever existed, saying that even Yomi and Mukuro would have been helpless against him. Despite being immensely powerful, he eventually ran out of energy from constant fighting against the powerful demons of the league and was badly injured, and was nursed back to health by a beautiful young woman. Initially, he couldn't suppress his urge to eat her, and she told him he was welcome to, but at the risk of her tainted flesh and blood eating his own insides. They instead had a child and Raizen had to leave her and swore that he wouldn't eat another human until he met her again. She eventually died and Raizen kept his word of never eating another human.
Synopsis [ ]
Chapter black saga [ ].
In the middle of the final battle between Yusuke and former spirit detective Shinobu Sensui , Raizen takes control of Yusuke's body, causing his descendant to develop demon-like features greatly resembling those of Raizen. After taking over Yusuke's body completely, Raizen begins to do battle against Sensui, and with superior strength, Raizen easily and ruthlessly defeats Sensui. Just as Raizen fires a deadly shot of Yusuke's newly acquired demon gun at Sensui, Yusuke begins to regain control over his body, urging Sensui to move out of the way of the incoming bullet. Nonetheless, Yusuke's gesture proves futile, as the shot hits and kills Sensui. 
After the slaying of Sensui, Yusuke, never knowing himself to be so ruthless, realizes that someone must have taken control of his body during the battle, though he remains unaware of who it could have been. With such questions still in mind, Yusuke travels back to human realm, revoked of his former status as spirit detective.
Three Kings Saga [ ]
Anxious to meet with his heir to the throne, Raizen sends two A Class demons and one S Class demon to find him. Yusuke refuses to follow them and ends up fighting them. Later, however, Yusuke goes with them, along with Kurama and Hiei with Raizen's rivals Yomi and Mukuro. Yusuke engages with Raizen only to find out the demon's strength is far greater than his, with Raizen even emphasizing the gap of power between them even as he is at his lowest point and with perhaps only a year remaining to live due to the degradation.
Yusuke trains rigorously with Hokushin until they deem he is worthy of fighting Raizen. However, the demon is dying from starvation from not eating humans. When Yusuke finally goes to see Raizen, the latter loses control of his hunger, nearly killing Yusuke in the process. He then tells Yusuke the reason for his starvation and dies several moments later.
In order to stop the war, Yusuke starts the Demon World Tournament. Before the start of the tournament, Yusuke meets two of Raizen's allies, Enki and his wife, Koko; as the latter mourns of their leader's death, Enki mentions him as a most powerful warrior to Yusuke. After the tournament, where Enki emerges as the victor to become the leader of the Demon World, Yusuke visits Raizen's grave and tells him of his own decision of going back to the Human World to see Keiko one final time; Raizen's spirit emerges from his grave and gives Yusuke some advice and his own responsibility before finally departing.
Techniques/Moves [ ]
Abilities [ ].
Although Raizen's fights during the series have never shown his true power, it is admitted by many characters that Raizen is the most powerful fighter in the series. After abstaining from eating humans for hundreds of years, and losing more of his power as a result, his strength was still great enough so that he could rival Yomi and Mukuro, who both dared not directly antagonize Raizen or each other without caution lest the surviving King easily falls prey to the remaining third, thus keeping the war at a three way stalemate. It has been said that, in his prime, Raizen was strong enough to shake the earth while powering up.
- Incredible Speed: This is shown in his frenzied state while fighting Yusuke.
- Incredible strength: During the fight with Sensui, when Raizen is possessing Yusuke, his attacks are so strong that possible friction statics or tendrils of lightning are generated when he attacks as seen when Yusuke was using the spirit punch and spirit gun during the fight. As this never happened to Yusuke's ability before or since, it suggest that this is an ability or power of Raizen (or possibly as a pun on his name).
- Possession: This is seen when he takes control of Yusuke's body, Raizen has the power to possess and control his descendants and channel his power through them.
Techniques [ ]
- Lightning Empowerment: When Raizen was possessing Yusuke, lightning bolts are seen striking Yusuke's Spirit Gun, and Spirit Punch. This has never happened before or since, suggesting this is a ability/skill of Raizens, not Yusuke's. It may also be a reference to his name (Raizen: Rai =Lightning / Zen=Meditation)
Yusuke cut by Raizen
- Energy Cutter: During his first meeting with Yusuke, Raizen demonstrated the ability to create a blade like beam of energy by flicking his fingers. This can also be interpreted that he's so strong, he can cut someone with his nails even when they are at a distance. This attack, which Raizen admitted was casual, was enough to cut a gash into Yusuke's chest.
- Fury Palm Rush: In his frenzied feral state, Raizen grasps Yusuke's face in his left palm and forcibly drives him into and through the wall of his fortress. He continues to push Yusuke back with a massive burst of his green energy, propelling him across the landscape of his terrain and into a large rock formation, all the while crushing Yusuke's head in his grip. As shown in this move, it is proven that Raizen is able to fly, as he was able to push Yusuke from his throne room tower and force him a great distance away.
- Flight : As seen when he used Fury Palm Rush (unofficial name), he was covered in green energy when he was dragging him mid-air. This can be interpreted that his power is immensely powerful that his jump reached this distance before falling. This can also be interpreted that he's capable of flight. Yusuke and Sensui showed the ability to fly in their fight when they were covered in spiritual energy.
Raizen blasts Souketsu
- Energy Blast: Seen in a flashback of Souketsu's memory, Raizen, during his prime, used a blast of white demonic energy, blasting Souketsu backward onto a wall.
- He has several traits similar to his descendant, Yusuke Urameshi. Both had reckless and battle loving personalities, both had a lover who would stand up to them, both had friends who mourned their deaths, and both had a group of close fighting friends who badly wanted to surpass them.
- Although it is stated clearly that Yusuke is his direct descendant it has never been specified exactly which side of Yusuke's family does Raizen come from.
- He dies similarly to Younger Toguro ; both pushed their bodies to their physical limits. Raizen refused to eat humans, while Toguro forced himself to go beyond 100% of his power. When they both died, their bodies turned completely white.
- His name translates to "Lightning Buddhism", a likely reference to how he can endure for centuries without eating impurities, having a whole army of monks and being as strong and as swift as lightning. (Correction, literal translation would be thunder and not lightning,)
- Although he was, at his time of dying, equal to both Yomi and Mukuro in power, if he had eaten humans to the current events he would have dominated over Yomi and Mukuro. Shigure states that Mukuro was only using a little bit more than half of her power in the tournament, which would most likely mean her power at only slighly over half of her maximum potential is equal to Raizen's friends. Therefore, it is extremely likely that Raizen in his prime years is the strongest character in the series since it was confirmed he is more than twice as powerful than the combined might of Yomi, Mukuro, and his old friends. 
- He shares the same English voice actor in Christopher Sabat , with Kazuma Kuwabara , Kairen , and Gama on the show. Sabat is known for voicing the likes of Vegeta , Piccolo , Yamcha , and many more from the Dragon Ball series.
- In Chapter 161 of the manga, Raizen is stated to have a Youki of 1,322,000 in his weakened state.
- Raizen's surname/title of Toushin (闘神), meaning "war god", is exclusive to the anime and is supposed to be a nickname representing his unmatched prowess in combat.
- Raizen is similar to King Piccolo from Dragon Ball both are portrayed as demon/devil both had a descendant which became a hero, both were old, and were by far the powerful in their youth of their respective series, Raizen moreso before being famished.
- It was shown that Raizen is capable of flying when he attacked Yusuke in his frenzied state.
- His face bears some similarities with Kite , a character from Togashi's newest work, Hunter x Hunter.
- Raizen's relationship with the human girl he fell in love with and his decision to stop eating humans for good both reference the possibilities for Meruem's character from Togashi's other work, Hunter X Hunter.
- In the English Dub, his final conversation with Yusuke is changed, Instead of asking if Yusuke would eat humans, he instead asks if he had ever been in love. When Yusuke responds " yes ", Raizen explains that he can understand his choice to starve himself.
- Raizen is a pure demon blood Mazoku while his lineal descendant Yusuke is a half-human, half-demon hybrid Mazoku born from a human mother. The Mazoku are a very rare race of highly elevated demons considered the strongest even among Upper S-Classes. There were only two Mazoku ever introduced in the entire Yu Yu Hakusho series, Raizen and Yusuke, both in the manga and in the anime versions.
- It is outright implied that Raizen refused to eat anything, as there is no sign of drinks or some kind of vegetables or fruit in his room.
References [ ]
- ↑ Yu Yu Hakusho manga; Chapter 151
Navigation [ ]
- 1 Yusuke Urameshi
Something went wrong. Wait a moment and try again.
15 Most Powerful Yu Yu Hakusho Characters, Ranked
YYH featured humans, demons, spirit guides, and even Gods of Death, and characters like Kurama, Yomi, and Raizen are among the most powerful.
Yu Yu Hakusho was a stunning achievement by the then-amateur mangaka Yoshihiro Togashi, quickly becoming one of the most popular series of the '90s. Driven by its success, Togashi went on to create another magnificent work — Hunter x Hunter .
RELATED: The 30 Strongest Dragon Ball Super Characters At The End Of The Series
Yu Yu Hakusho has many strong characters, including humans, demons, spirit guides, and even Gods of Death. Their power levels fluctuate throughout the series, some increasing by incomprehensible amounts but others remaining at the same tier.
Updated on June 15, 2023, by Ajay Aravind: Given the sheer number of people/demons in the narrative, not to mention that the final Three Kings Arc included the Makai Tournament, several overwhelming characters can be considered the most powerful entities in Yu Yu Hakusho . However, it is important to note that raw strength is not the only factor being considered; successful battles require planning, strategy, inventiveness, and much more.
15 Kazuma Kuwabara
Kuwabara might have been depicted as cowardly at the beginning of Yu Yu Hakusho , where he plays a juvenile delinquent. However, he evolves rapidly over the course of the first couple of arcs, soon becoming a force to be reckoned with in his own right.
In addition to the innumerable versions of Kuwabara's Spirit Sword, the ultimate form of his weapon is capable of hacking through the literal curtain that separates individual dimensions. He doesn't take part in the Demon World Tournament, though, but that's because he plans to complete his scholastic endeavors instead.
14 Elder Toguro
While there are a number of antagonists in Yu Yu Hakusho , there is only one character in the series who is driven by pure evil: the Elder Toguro brother. His main ability is shapeshifting; he can stretch out or tauten any part of his body with absolute control over viscoelasticity.
Elder Toguro can even convert any part of his anatomy into a melee weapon or, in drastic cases, turn into a liquid-gel form in order to escape. As a result of his anatomical flexibility and flawless healing factor , this villain is essentially immortal. Unfortunately for Elder Toguro, he now gets to spend eternity in agony, trapped in the embrace of the Sinning Tree.
13 Younger Toguro
Toguro is built up to be this terrifying monster, and he certainly does have the flair for it, as seen during the Dark Tournament Saga. He crushes Yusuke until the former is forced to go beyond his limits in order to destroy him. Toguro perishes with a smile on his face and eventually, accepts the worst afterlife punishment imaginable.
Koenma reveals, much to everyone's astonishment, that Toguro had never been anything more than a mediocre B-Class demon. That said, it doesn't change the impact he had on Yusuke and Team Urameshi.
Kokou happens to be one of Raizen's original pals, appearing after her old friend dies of hunger. She effortlessly vanquishes the low-level (relative to the Human World) opponents in the first few rounds of the Makai Tournament and is given the honor of standing alongside Yomi himself in terms of youki, by the latter's own admission.
RELATED: 15 Strongest Hunter x Hunter Characters
Interestingly, after Yusuke wears Yomi down during their manga battle, it is Kokou who defeats the Makai King — and not Enki, as shown in the anime. Unfortunately, Kokou's full strength is never showcased in either the anime or the manga.
Aside from his genius-level intellect, Kurama is best known for his manipulation of plants . For instance, his favorite Rose Whip technique has gotten him out of some rather sticky situations. However, in the form of Yoko, he obtains access to A-Class demon energy, allowing him to create some rather macabre botanical products.
One of them is the Ojigi, a plant that captures enemies and squeezes them to death if they move even an inch. Another one is the Death Tree, which consumes any living organism that is unfortunate enough to venture into its nightmarish AOE.
Kujo is another old buddy of Raizen's. Along with this sister, Natsume, he is considered to be among the most fearsome combatants the Demon World has ever produced.
Kujo's overwhelming powers are on display when he takes on Touya after the latter's rapid power-up under Genkai. Kujo successfully counters his adversary's unique techniques, albeit with some minor difficulty. Kujo's greatest claim to fame is taking down one of his own friends, Kokou.
Every anime team needs a quiet grouch , a role played by Hiei in Yu Yu Hakusho . While his fights on Earth were an incredible sight to behold, he comes into his own only during the Three Kings Saga. Here, he displays full control of the dangerous technique known as the Dragon of the Darkness Flame, almost defeating Mukuro — a stunning achievement, given her status in the Demon Realm.
Even though Mukuro manages to rip the fiery dragon in half, her metaphorical shackles are broken in the process. Finally free, she rejects her title as a King and leaves. Hiei remains behind in the Makai, hoping to improve the realm's relationship with the Human World.
Saizou bears a striking resemblance to Menthuthuyoupi from Hunter x Hunter , but he is vastly more powerful than King Meruem's Royal Guard. While his battles are not shown at all, the fact that he is the sole victor from Block A means that he's superior to Tetsuzan, Shu, Souketsu, Engetsu, Oboro, and other similar S-Class demons.
RELATED: 10 Strongest Demon Slayer Characters, Ranked
This suggests that Saizou is one of a kind, indeed. As it turns out, the final match of the Demon World Tournament takes place between Saizou and Enki, which the former loses.
Enki is a jovial red-hued demon friend of Raizen's and one of the most powerful demons in existence. His spirit pressure is so great that when he releases it to honor Raizen, the resulting spectacle of red light can be seen from hundreds of miles away.
In fact, even Yomi mentions that Enki's overall power is arguably similar to his own, although Enki nonchalantly confesses that he has not fought in a very long time. Nevertheless, after defeating Yomi in the fifth round of the Makai tournament, Enki is later crowned the sole King of Demon World, holding the position for the next three years.
Yomi was originally a minion of Yoko from thousands of years ago until an accident left him blind and helpless. Since then, he has honed his powers to the extent of becoming one of the Three Kings, a potential rival to Raizen himself.
Yomi's most impressive technique is the Demon Absorption Wall, which shields him from literally every kind of attack as long as they are composed of demon energy. However, his weakness is exposed when Yusuke manages to break through by using his spirit blasts. Given his Upper S-Class level, though, Yomi can produce violently explosive bursts of energy while fighting.
Mukuro is one of the most dangerous characters in the series, mainly because her strength correlates with her temperament. Having been violently abused by her "adoptive" dad, she still suffers from her childhood trauma. As such, her anger lets her generate ridiculous amounts of spirit pressure.
In addition to intimidating S-Class demons with her mere presence, she also employs techniques like dimension-cutting and telepathy — dodging or parrying either is next to impossible. Despite defeating Hiei, she reveals that she only used about 50% of her strength during their battle.
While Genkai is technically weaker than several other strong Yu Yu Hakusho characters, the sheer elegance of her techniques has been proven to win unwinnable battles. For instance, she fights Shishiwakamaru after she has transferred most of her energy reserves to Yusuke but still manages to wrest control of the match by using her Spirit Reflection Blast.
RELATED: The 15 Strongest Characters In Blue Lock, Ranked
This ability is used to extract the spirit energy from Genkai's opponent and reflect it back toward them while she maintains a perfect equilibrium between the two energies. According to Genkai, her Spirit Wave technique also has enough power to level entire mountain ranges.
3 Shinobu Sensui
Shinobu Sensui, Yusuke's predecessor, obtains a variety of energy that could outmatch even the strongest of demons, known as the fabled Sacred Energy. With this ability, he withstands the full force of Hiei's Dragon by covering himself with Sacred Energy. This simply allows him to float through the air inside the Dragon's mouth, completely unharmed.
Most importantly, Sensui is more than capable of fending off Yusuke in his reincarnated Mazoku form, which is already at an S-Class level. In fact, it can be argued that Sensui would have won the fight if Raizen hadn't decided to seize control of Yusuke's body.
The only reason that Raizen is considered to be weaker than Yusuke's final form is that he's introduced to viewers on his deathbed. That said, it has been revealed that a young Raizen set off tremors whenever he raised his power levels.
Nevertheless, Raizen still remains the most powerful of the Three Kings, able to decimate Sensui and his Sacred Energy as if the latter were a rag doll being flung around. Unlike most other characters, Raizen can fly, as shown when he drags Yusuke across half a continent while in a rage.
1 Yusuke Urameshi
Shonen law demands that the strongest character be the young male protagonist, and so it is with Yu Yu Hakusho . Yusuke Urameshi starts off as a rebellious teenager, but he obtains limitless levels of power after going through innumerable fights throughout the four arcs.
Although Yusuke's preferred technique is his Spirit Gun, he can eventually fire off blasts from the Super Demon Gun, an ability he obtained from his ancestor, Raizen. Yusuke loses the battle to Yomi during the Makai tournament, but the latter is weakened so much that he loses the next round to Enki without putting up much of a fight.
NEXT: 40 Strongest Anime Characters Of All Time, Ranked