Garl vinland | demons souls wiki.
- Create new page
- Recent Changes
- Edit Open Graph
- Clear page cache
- Clear comments cache
- File Manager
- Page Manager
- Wiki Templates
- Comments Approval
- Wiki Settings
- Wiki Manager
Garl Vinland is an NPC in Demon's Souls and Demon's Souls Remake . NPCs are the various characters that are encountered by the player throughout their journey. NPCs provide information, others are quest givers, while some are categorized as Merchants and/or Blacksmiths whom you can trade with or request for certain services.
Garl Vinland is Maiden Astraea’s loyal bodyguard and companion, and speculatively, a lover as well. He followed Astraea into the Valley to carry out her will of bringing peace to the suffering. He protects her with his life and has gone to great lengths to keep himself and her safe from pillaging adventurers.
Garl Vinland Information
All world tendencies.
- While Maiden Astraea is still alive, Garl Vinland appears alive in the same location in Dirty Colossus Archstone , protecting her.
- He drops the Dark Silver Shield and Dark Silver Armor set when killed during the boss battle.
- If you kill him before approaching Maiden Astraea, she will commit suicide. Although, she will attack you with the God's Wrath miracle, if you are close enough to her.
- If you kill Maiden Astraea before killing him, you can either attack and kill him, or simply reload the current game, and he will be dead, leaving his shield and armor at his normal spawning point.
- See the Maiden Astraea page for more information on killing both of them.
Pure White World Tendency (only after the death of Maiden Astraea)
- Garl Vinland appears as a Black Phantom, as part of the side quest from his sister, Selen Vinland . He will appear regardless of whether you've already spoken to his sister.
- When you first enter, he will not be there in Black Phantom form. Don't be alarmed; this is intended. Kill regular Garl Vinland and Maiden Astraea as you normally would, return to the nexus and then go back to the Dirty Colossus Archstone . Press on into the cavern and Garl Vinland will be waiting as a Black Phantom along the left pathway.
- If you should find yourself heading up from the Maiden Astraea archstone to fight BP Garl for whatever reason, be aware that the game seems to have trouble letting you lock on to him him from below while he's in his starting position. Garl's attacks are, however, slow enough that you can sprint past him (on his left as you head up the path) without taking damage. Once you're higher up than him, proceed as normal. As mentioned elsewhere on the page, he's not likely to follow you far… Or, indeed, follow you at all.
- Black Phantom Garl drops the Bramd and the Crest Of Vinland when killed.
- Give the Crest Of Vinland to Selen Vinland to complete her side quest, and you'll receive a Ring Of Devout Prayer as a reward.
Garl Vinland Location: Where to Find Garl Vinland
- Can be found at Dirty Colossus Archstone . The first time you engage the Dirty Colossus Archstone archdemon, Maiden Astraea , Carl Vinland serves as her protector. You can defeat Garl normally or defeat the Maiden Astraea and then load the game. You'll find out Garrl killed himself. Either way, Garl drops the following: Dark Silver Shield , Dark Silver Helmet , Dark Silver Armor , Dark Silver Manifer and Dark Silver Leggings . All of these items together are very heavy so make sure you're able to carry a lot of weight before you either kill him or go to look for his loot. After you've collected the Pureblood Demon's Soul , you can do a special quest involving Garl. In Pure White World Tendency, you can find Black Phantom Garl Vinland in Maiden Astraea's area. When killed, he will drop Bramd and the Crest of Vinland . The Crest can be given to his sister Selen Vinland for the Ring of Devout Prayer .
Garl Vinland Strategies
- Garl Vinland has a few tricks up his sleeves, like healing spells and God's Wrath , but you can interrupt it all since he casts spells very slowly. When he changes weapons to use a Talisman, you can attack him aggressively, but after 1 to 3 hits he will change back to Bramd and try to parry. However, if you want a true battle, get around Garl Vinland either by running past him while he is off-balance and knocked back from some hits, or by going around through the plague lake. So long as you are behind the choke-point he tried to maintain, he will become much more aggressive and more likely to parry and riposte you.
- If you take a lot of time or lure him, Garl will not wait at the bottom, but can come partway up the path to meet you. At the point where he will not advance any further, he is close to an overhang above from the cliff face. If you fight him here, you can back up out of his range if you need a break for healing (and will be safe if you survive a Bramd knockdown). Also, because of the overhang, many of his attacks will never hit you and rebound off the wall, so you can get in some free shots while he recovers.
- Whilst Garl is under the overhang he will not move much from this position, you can bait him to swing his Bramd and simply roll backwards as soon as he moves and attack him after the blow hits the ground and he starts to recover, he is vulnerable when recovering. Simply use and repeat until he is dead.
Crowd him - ring of the eternal warrior
- It is possible to squeeze in between the wall and Garl at the point where he will not advance any further up the path. With you all up in his face, constantly pushing up against him, there really isn't much he can do, if you keep hitting him, which is possible thanks to the ring you wear. I casted warding to be sure, but it was never necessary. Using this strategy, Garl just doesn't know how to react to you, and will fail his Maiden fairly quickly.
Counter with Fire attacks
- You're in for the long haul now. Garl is equipped with the Dark Silver Armor set and Bramd , in a narrow choke point so the ideal strategy is to simply wait for Garl to strike, block or dodge, then hit him with a very quick flame based combo. Be careful not to get to close to him and wind up behind him because this can accidentally result in Garl essentially going berserk making him aggressive enough to combo you into Maiden Astraea from the top of the stairs. If this happens you should try your best to side step his swipes, while keeping a fair distance from the Maiden. Ideal spot is at the base of the stairs so you can maneuver but still stay out of the sludge.
- Alternatively, you can speed up this process by using Morion Blade + Clever Rat's Ring + Dragon Long Sword + 5. With these setup, you can potentially hit for an average of 500 dmg with R2. You may also consider using the Dragon Mirdan Hammer +5 with an attack rating of 358 does 266 damage on Riposte versus 200 Riposte damage using a Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5 with 400 attack rating (with 50 Faith). 5 consecutive hits (equivalent to 1 full stamina bar with 40 endurance) from a Dragon Mirdan Hammer +5 two-handed could only amount up to 200 damage more or less (compare to 266 dmg w/ single Riposte).
Parry and Riposte
- This strategy works only if you're confident in your ability to parry. Grab a small shield (Knight's Shield +10 or Dark Silver Shield +5 preferably) and a weapon that gets good riposte damage (dagger, blunt weapon, etc). Walk close enough to Garl so that he prepares to strike. Time your parry well and, as long as he one hands the Bramd, you can Parry and Riposte him. It will take a few ripostes, especially if you mess up. Second Chance or Warding can save you if he hits you; just roll away, heal and put them back on. The great thing about this strategy is that it's impossible for him to riposte you, since you never attack him. Just practice the timing, because the Bramd has a big windup. Remember to get out of there if he two hands it as that makes it impossible to parry (or at least, really, really hard). Northern Regalia at Pure Black/White CT will take him down in a few hits. This works on his Black Phantom version too.
- This works on both of Garls forms. For your first play through bring your strongest straight sword ( Dragon Broad Sword for instance). Do not use a heavy weapon as he stays under that ledge most of the time. Lock on so you can strafe without altering your camera angle. You can use your shield if you like but you shouldn't need to with good timing. Walk right up to him as close as you can get and as soon as he starts making the attack motion shield and walk back. Hopefully if timed correctly he will miss you completely and hit the ground. Do your R2 attack that lunges your sword forward into him. If done correctly he will try to attack you again. Just rinse and repeat this same motion. If you don't shield you can keep this going forever as your stamina will just replenish as you walk around between attacks.
- Turtle with Shield/Knockback weapon Use a strong shield and spear combo. Block and then retaliate until he dies. You can also simply bait him to attack, then combo him after you dodge by backing up. If you're strong enough, the Meat Cleaver works well, too, because you'll knock him down with almost every hit. His Dark Silver Shield will block most magic-based attacks, so save your magic for the Warding spell.
- Any quick, short-ranged weapon should do the trick ( Baby's Nail for instance). Position yourself slightly to the right, closer to the cliff. Do the usual dodge and counter. It's easier with a quick weapon since if you're good at it, you can hit him out of his attacks. Sometimes Garl will swing twice instead of once. His tracking will lead him slightly towards the cliff. You can use this time to get around to the back side of him. This may take a couple of tries. If Garl strays too far (not too difficult to get a backstab that pushes him that far if you did what was described), he'll try to walk back to his original position with disregard to you. As long as you can prevent him from walking back to his original position, you can keep on striking him. Pushing: tapping forward and attack with most non-curved blade weapons will help keep him from walking back.
- Weird way of fighting Garl but very effective. Let two melee based characters destroy Garl with little effort. The down side is one player has to make it through the plague babies. When entering the fog, backstab the worshippers and then move onto the left hand side where you would face Garl. Have one person fall down onto the little island and one stay on the cliff. Garl will be backed by Maiden Astraea ’s. The person on the cliff can make his/her way down and lure him to meet him on the island. Then the unlucky group member can race through the annoying bog and get up behind him (getting behind him is the hardest part of this plan). Now Garl is trapped in between two people. Whoever is behind him can backstab and he should turn to face who backstabbed him opening his back to the other player. Just repeat this until dead.
- If you have already acquired the Blind from the Black Phantom Selen Vinland in Leechmonger Archstone , equip it along with a strong shield. Lure Garl towards you, but stay near the edge of his aggro radius so you can retreat if necessary. When he gets close enough unleash with the Blind; it will ignore his shield and swings quick enough that he shouldn't get an attack off. The stun from the Blind is just enough to last until the next swing, so once you stop attacking back away immediately (while blocking for safety) since Garl will usually try to attack. If you kept backing away his attack should miss, and while he recovers from his attack you can launch another assault if your stamina has replenished. If you do take a hit retreat until he backs off and heal. Second Chance is also helpful in case you make a mistake.
- It's easy to kill Garl with Flame Toss , because the Dark Silver Shield only has 70% FireCut. Ready the Kris Blade to boost magic power, this will do 20 damage per Flame Toss. Just continuously cast from lock on range.
- You can boost the fire damage to 40 damage per hit if you hit him immediately after his hammer strikes the ground. Achieving this takes some timing. Get yourself to the bottom of the stairs and wait for him to approach you. You need to begin casting the spell at the same time he begins swinging his weapon down at you, so get ready to dodge back before he swings. If you time this right, your Flame Toss should hit him directly in the head for 40 damage, thus saving you MP and time.
Alternative Fire Magic
- It is easy enough to take out Garl Vinland with a magic character, and multiple spells that will get the job done. The first strategy which is perhaps the safest is to get your magic attack as high as you can and then lock on him and just use Fire Spray, the Dark Silver Shield he has absorbs all physical/magic damage, but not all fire, so some will get through (although not much), and he will not retaliate at all so you can just keep doing this. He will try to heal himself when his health gets low, at which point you can switch to a bow and interrupt him each time he tries to cast his miracle, and finish him off that way.
Homing Soul Arrow
- A quicker and easier ways to defeat him is to utilize the Homing Soul Arrow spell. Set it up so that you do as much magic damage as you can, then stand a bit in front of him, but still so that he will not attack you. Then just cast Homing Soul Arrow and quickly run right at him, the trick is to get him to lower his shield and start to wind up for an attack right when your five soul arrows target him. If you do it right, all five will connect for fairly good damage, plus they will stun him, giving you a chance to retreat out of his range. If you are too far away when you cast or start running up to him too late, the soul arrows will hit his shield and do no damage.
- Also when using this strategy, often he will not try to heal himself unless you are taking too long between volleys, but if he does, you can finish him off with a bow.
Firestorm: Avoiding Garl
- You will need five magic slots for this. Cast Warding and walk up to him, hit him a bit so he moves and you can roll by him. Then sprint as fast as you can down the pathway to the maiden. He will be right after you and you will get stuck in the swamp, so hurry! As soon as you are next to her cast Firestorm . One hit should take her out. Garl will not attack you after this. You can talk to him and go back to the Nexus. When you return he will be gone and his armor will be at the place you saw him first.
Firestorm: Confronting Garl
- For this to work, your going to need a lot of spice, and the Firestorm spell. Go around the walk way, and use Firestorm to get him to fall down, and he should retreat to the maiden. Now all you have to do is lure him up the pathway around the side, use Firestorm , he will fall down, then retreat back up the path, mana up. Whilst he is walking back to the maiden, lure him back, and repeat. If you can get him to advance before he reaches the maiden, he shouldn't heal, and eventually he'll die.
Poison Cloud & Death Cloud: Black Phantom Garl only
- The easiest (and cheapest) way to defeat Black Phantom Garl Vinland is to approach him at his spawning point on the left cliff, and cast the Poison Cloud spell ( Death Cloud will work if you can get him to lower his guard while he is in the cloud) from just within lock-on range (he won't attack unless you get close enough for him to hit you). As with any boss or Black Phantom susceptible to poison, you'll have to cast the spell several times (905 damage points per casting, at 5 points per second). As his hit points get low (somewhere around 25%), he'll attempt to cast healing spells. When he does, he lets down his guard and his motions are very slow, so you can hit him with an arrow or bolt from point-blank range and interrupt the spell. Stay locked onto him and shoot him each time he attempts to cast the spell. Meanwhile, the poison and your shots are slowly killing him. Repeat until he dies, and you'll never get hit. This method does not work on Garl when he is alive, in regular body form (during the Maiden Astraea battle). In NG++ Garl won't even try to heal himself (bug?), so 4 Poison Cloud or 1 Death Cloud cast(s) should do the work.
- Make sure your equip burden is low, and equip a large sword with significant knockback (tested with Dragon Bone Smasher) and Soulsucker. Approach him from the right, dodging his attacks until he completes an overhead swing. Quickly strike him, and he should fly back into the wall. While he is down run to him and initiate Soulsucker. The attack animation should finish right after he gets up, and before he initiates another attack. You leave with either a 15 second battle and double souls, or a look of shock as he parries your 20lb sword and murders you.
Soulsucker and Second Chance
- The strategy above may work with a great risk. Many times, Soulsucker would take a while to finish and by the time it's done either you're dead or both of you are. In case you die at the same time, Garl will still be alive when you get back to where he is. In order to prevent this from happening, you can do the following:
- equip a Talisman Of Beasts or any catalyst on your left hand
- equip your knockback weapon on your right hand
- cast Second Chance, this way even if both of you die at the same time, one of you has two lives
- wait for him to strike, then dodge, then strike hard (R2) with your knockback weapon so that he won't fly away from you and just get knocked down in front of you (having to run after him takes away most of the precious time for Soulsucking)
- as soon as he's down, initiate Soulsucker
- As stated above, he'll most likely recover before Soulsucker is done using this strategy. He will strike you dead if your stats are not enough to take it but then you'll get revived by miracle.
- This strategy is by far the least mana consuming out of all of them (single-cast wise), and yet the most amusing. As soon as you get in to the caverns, backstab the worshippers off the cliff and then face Garl Vinland. Hit him with your melee weapon once or twice, until he attacks. When he does, roll away, then towards him, with Ignite and a catalyst (preferrably Insanity) equipped and keep igniting. The cast is fast enough for him to get stunned in the middle of his attack, and with only an 18 mana consumption, you're able to do quite a bit of damage before he does.
Acid Cloud/Scraping Spear
- Garl Vinland's equipment is all capable of being worn down with the Scraping Spear and/or the Acid Cloud spell. After some time dedicated to lower his equipment health he is laughably easy. He takes a great amount of damage and even on New Game ++ he couldn't do more than 300 damage (tested with Black Leather Armor, SL120[state significant stats]). This makes the fight laughably easy.
Garl Vinland Dialog
First meeting- "You won't turn back, will you?" "I shall let no harm come to dearest Astraea" "May you rot in the deepest depths of this swamp"
Hitting him- "How dare you persist in intruding our haven." "You abandoned us long ago, what right do you have?" "we live humble lives, leave us be!"
If you fall in the swamp- "Plunge to your death...." "And let the acid melt the flesh from your bones!"
When killed- "Dearest Astraea...I have failed you"
If he kills you- "Ye covetous one, let it be known" "We shall defend our heart and home to the death"
Garl Vinland Notes, Tips, and Trivia
- Voiced by : Josh Cohen
Did they nerf him since the remake's release? He used one shot me with his weapon and I would barely do any damage to him with my strongest attacks. Now he's basically just a squishy punching bag that occasionally tickles you back with his weapon, or am I thinking of his Black Phantom form?
> Maiden Astra > Speculative lover This what happens when you use gamefaqs post as official lore -_-
Easiest way to kill Garl: parry, and then after that, parry some more, and then to mix it up a bit, just parry more
Garl is the OG Paladin Leeroy
Man, I’m not usually one to boast about graphics, but dear lord his armor looks utterly gorgeous in the PS5 Remake. It already looked decent in the PS3 version, but wow. The texture work, the reflections, the intricate details everywhere on his armor and on his shield. It’s crazy. Even his weapon, which I always thought looked comically goofy and out of place aesthetically, actually looks more believable in the Remake (even though it’s pretty much the same). I guess having actual textures in the Remake really helped bring the weapon to life. If only the weapon was good for PVP lol.
I never kill him. I just kill Maiden Astraea with a bow, reload, and pick up Garl’s armor. Garl Vinland is now relieved of his simp duties.
Literally a white knight.
I killed his Body Form with Neutral World Tendency, then i reached Pure White World Tendency and now I can't see his Black Phantom. Can someone help me?
Does killing him affect your character or world tendency?
was the acid spell strat patched out? ive gone through two mp bars and tried to get in past his shield and hes taking my hits at the same DR and one shotting me with a riposte so his stuff isnt broken. is there a way to tell if its worked? a noise maybe? this fight is kind of dull bs. he stands still with his shield up in a chokepoint and is really fast at recovering into the riposte. wont aggro. and you cant get to her at all without getting past him or dealing with the cursed blood babies.
Why he said: you abandoned us long ago? He know my character?
I don't give a damn about strategies where's the heckin lore?
the filthy woman describes him as a squid-headed knight. is he a mindflayer?
Hilariously, they didn't fix Garl in the remake - he'll still get stuck in the same spot even though there's no overhang for him to get caught on anymore. Ironically, this makes it a lot easier to cheese him because there's less level geometry for your weapon to bounce off instead of hitting Garl.
Did you also notice with Garl Vinland? When defeated, his soul dissipates. But a knight in fluted armor drops, and you pillage the Dark Silver Set off the corpse. It’s easy to miss. As Garl Vinland doesn’t have a second health bar like Man Eater does (two brothers, the doll, a queen and a king: Latria throne room has 5 thrones.) I wonder if the Garl Vinland we fight is a projection of Maiden Astraea? Prior to the fight, he rises from corpses covering him. Did Maiden Astraea animate his image to protect herself? Is that her demonic reflection? Man Eaters are twin princes of Latria. Real people, two health bars. Fools Idol projections have mini health bars. Garl Vinland has a mini health bar. Then upon death, a fluted armor knight falls where Garl Vinland was defeated.
- Recent Changes +
- File Manager +
- Page Manager +
- Create Wiki +
- ⇈ Back to top ⇈
- PlayStation 3
- PlayStation 4
- PlayStation 5
- Xbox Series
- More Systems
- Black Phantom Garl Vinland is Missing
- Demon's Souls
PlayStation 3 PlayStation 5
- Topic Archived
More Topics from this Board
- One thing I know about this game. 2 posts, 1/10 12:59PM
- Demon souls invasion 2 posts, 1/10 12:56PM
- Seeking the elusive faintstone chunk. 10 posts, 12/26 6:52AM
- Looking For Monk's Headwrapping, SL98 Help 1 post, 12/24 6:37PM
- 1st time player. Is the Run back to all bosses long and difficult? 2 posts, 10/27 4:36AM
- Where can i find an Archdemon to enter 1-4? Enemy/Boss 4 Answers
- Getting rid of the dragons in 1-1? Main Quest 4 Answers
- How do I beat the giant tower that fires arrows? Enemy/Boss 3 Answers
- Locked Door 1-2? General 3 Answers
- Best weapon for a magic user? Build 10 Answers
Demon’s Souls PS5: How To Complete Selen Vinland’s Questline & Fight Garl Vinland’s Black Phantom
Here are detailed instructions for the Selen Vinland Questline in Demon's Souls.
On account of Demon’s Souls tying side quests to World Tendency, most players will miss out on the best content FromSoftwar e’s former PS3 exclusive has to offer. BluePoint Games’ PS5 remake is incredibly faithful when it comes to gameplay, preserving World Tendency as it was and making players work for their questlines. Selen Vinland is one of the most obscure NPCs in Demon’s Souls with a side quest set in the Valley of Defilement that pits players against Garl again.
RELATED: 10 Things Everyone Completely Missed In Demon’s Souls PS5
The Valley of Defilement is already one of the hardest areas in Demon’s Souls – if not outright the hardest – which makes attaining & maintaining Pure White World Tendency extremely challenging. It’s worth keeping in mind that the reward for Selen’s questline isn’t especially useful for non-Faith builds, but getting deeper insight into the Vinland family is worth its weight in gold.
In spite of how overwhelmingly difficult the Valley of Defilement often is for newcomers, the Archstone of the Chieftain might very well have the easiest boss fights across all of Demon’s Souls. Leechmonger does not do 5-1 justice, undercutting one of the tensest uphill battles in the game with a lackluster boss battle that can be slaughtered in seconds with a bit of fire.
Fire bombs, fire weapons, and fire magic (Firestorm especially) will utterly rip Leechmonger apart. Even without fire, the boss itself doesn't have that much health nor does it do too much damage. If players wind up saving 5-1 for the end of the game, it’s even possible to tank Leechmonger’s attack while pummelling it to death. With Leechmonger killed, it’s time to build up Pure White World Tendency for 5-2.
Get Pure White World Tendency
Selen Vinland, like most NPCs tied to questlines, will only appear once players achieve Pure White World Tendency in the Valley of Defilement. Until then, she’ll be completely absent from 5-2. As the Valley of Defilement is Demon’s Souls’ overall hardest area and dying in Body Form lowers World Tendency, it’s advised to die in the Nexus if players want to build PWWT by defeating bosses. Otherwise, there alternative means:
RELATED: Demon’s Souls PS5: Every Archstone, Ranked By Difficulty
- Help a host phantom kill a boss and restore their body.
- Defeat Invading Black Phantoms.
While most players likely won’t need help with Leechmonger, 5-1 is bound to be populated with newcomers who want help through Demon’s Souls’ harshest archstone. Help out others to safely build up Pure White World Tendency and Selen will show up in no time.
Find Selen Vinland
Finding Selen Vinland in 5-2 can be a complicated process. Not only is the Swamp of Sorrow one of the darkest lit stages in Demon’s Souls , running through the swamp can potentially cause poison or plague, while the enemies themselves are extremely aggressive when compared to the Stonefang Tunnel or the Tower of Latria. Getting to Selen is actually a fairly easy process, however, with her hiding in plain sight.
- Follow the walkway down to the swamp at the start of 5-2.
- Run from island to island to avoid status effects while killing any enemies along the way.
- Alternatively, hug the rightmost section of the swamp to casually walk to the fog gate. Be mindful of poison, however.
- Once past the fog gate, drop down into the swamp instead of continuing up the walkway.
- Selen Vinland will be sitting by a fire on a nearby island.
Selen won’t actually prompt the player to find her brother, but speaking with her builds up considerable tension for the Archdemon battle while also serving as an important trigger for the questline’s conclusion. With Selen spoken to, wrap up 5-2 and kill the Dirty Colossus.
Defeat The Dirty Colossus
The rest of 5-2 will be even worse than 5-1, as the back half of the stage past Selen is filled with aggressive enemies who will attack the player on sight. Worse, the swamp impedes movement, making it impossible to dodge roll off the walkway or islands. Thankfully, the Dirty Colossus is arguably even easier than Leechmonger.
RELATED: 10 Things Only Pro Players Know You Can Do In Demon’s Souls PS5
Not only does the Dirty Colossus have the exact same weaknesses to fire – ending the fight in less than a minute – but it’s also possible to kill the Dirty Colossus from long-range. Upon entering the boss area, archers or mages can find a safe spot to just burn away the Colossus’ health from afar. Return to the Nexus after the boss is killed to lose Body Form for safety and then warp to 5-3.
Slay Maiden Astraea
Like all Archdemon stages, 5-3 is primarily composed of a single boss fight. That said, it does have a twist in the form of two potential bosses. Players can either fight their way to Maiden Astraea herself by carving a path through Dreglings and then braving the swamp, or they can challenge Garl Vinland to a one on one duel.
Fighting Garl is not only easier than confronting Astraea (who can kill players rather easily thanks to all the hazards leading up to her,) it’s simply more appropriate to kill him personally while doing Selen’s questline. Garl can either be parried to an easy death or fought valiantly. Once killed, warp to the Nexus and then back to the Sanctuary of the Lost for the finale.
Showdown With Garl Vinland’s Black Phantom
With Garl Vinland dead, his Black Phantom will rise where he once stood and challenge the player to a duel. Just like regular Garl, Black Phantom Garl Vinland is easy enough to put down. Once killed, he drops his weapon – Bramd – along with the Vinland Crest, proof of his family lineage.
Return to Selen in 5-2 where she’ll request the Crest. Although you can turn her down, there’s no in-game reward for doing so. If players have a Faith stat higher than 10, Selen will reward them with a Ring of Devout Prayer. Otherwise, she offers a measly Dark Moon Grass for all the trouble.
NEXT: 10 Awesome Areas That Most Players Will Never Find In Demon’s Souls PS5
- Edit source
- View history
Garl Vinland is a character in Demon's Souls , and is voiced by Josh Cohen , who also voices Ostrava of Boletaria .
- 2 Equipment
- 3 Spells/Miracles/Abilities
He is the brother of Selen Vinland and part of the Vinland Family. He is also the guardian and speculated lover of Maiden Astraea .
Equipment [ ]
- Dark Silver Set
- Dark Silver Shield
- Talisman of God
Spells/Miracles/Abilities [ ]
- God's Wrath
- He will stand still and hold his ground during the boss fight even if you have hit him, only attacking when the player is close enough to touch him.
- If the player attempts to avoid him and go straight for Maiden Astraea, he becomes much more aggressive.
- His attacks can be parried.
- He is also capable of parrying incoming attacks, and a single riposte from his powerful Bramd will usually bring about swift death for the careless player.
- Occasionally, he will cast Heal , and even more rarely, God's Wrath . However, the player can safely interrupt both miracles by attacking him before he completes the cast.
- If Maiden Astraea is killed without fighting Garl, then exiting and loading the game causes Garl to die and drop all of his equipment where he falls.
In human form:
In black phantom form (Pure White World Tendency after defeating Maiden Astraea ):
- Crest of Vinland
- Garl appears in the Dark Souls comic Dark Souls: The Age of Fire .
Gallery [ ]
- 1 Patches the Hyena
- 2 Maiden in Black
Bramd is a rare large hammer in Demon's Souls. It can be obtained by defeating Garl Vinland when he appears as a Black Phantom in 5-3/5-4. He will appear in the same place he appeared in the boss battle against Maiden Astraea , but only when World Tendency is Pure White.
Bramd is the heaviest weapon in the game with good scaling in Strength, and even offers the user poison and plague resistance. Bramd's powerful attacks will break through most shields, and cannot be interrupted by most incoming attacks.
Bramd can be upgraded up to +5 at Blacksmith Ed using Colorless Demon Souls.
Up Next: Demonbrandt
Top guide sections.
- Changes and New Features
- Essential Tips and Tricks
- Things to Find Early
- Things Demon's Souls Doesn't Tell You
Was this guide helpful?
In this guide.