- Map & Guide
- Request Visitor's Info
Visitors can experience history as inmates in period dress guide them through the women’s, men’s, and the maximum-security cells.
At "Old Town" with the Oldest Store Museum and the main station for Old Town Trolley Tours. 167 San Marco Ave. St. Augustine, FL 32084
View Google Map
This historic jail served the city of St. Augustine from 1891 to 1953, and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Visitors can take tours of the jail during the day or night, experiencing history as inmates in period dress guide them through the women's cells, men's cells, and the maximum-security cells where only the most dangerous criminals were kept.
The Old Jail's unique history is full of fascinating stories about individual inmates that once occupied the cells and the sheriffs (and their families.) who lived just across the hall from them.
Tours depart every 20 minutes from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. every day, and night tours of the Old Jail are offered as part of the Ghosts and Gravestones tour.
The Old Jail is located at Old Town, along with the Old Town Trolley main station, The Oldest Store Museum, The St. Augustine History Museum, and a gift shop. The Old Jail is open all year except on Christmas Day.
The museum opens at 9:00 a.m. daily, and closes at 4:30 p.m. They are open all year with the exception of Christmas Day. Tours last approximately 30 minutes.
The Old Jail is located at Old Town, with the Old Town Trolley main Station, the Oldest Store Museum, the St. Augustine History Museum, and a gift shop.
In 1891, with the opening of his Ponce de Leon Hotel, Flagler wanted to ensure a safe and pleasant environment for his patrons by creating a secure fortress to house criminals. It was important to Flagler that the exterior appearance of this fortress wouldn't disrupt the majestic atmosphere of the Ancient City. To accomplish this, it was designed with a Romanesque Revival style that gave it the distinct appearance of a Victorian house without interior comfort and charm. It was almost unrecognizable as a jail apart from the barred windows.
Also, the original jail was too close for comfort at the time, so Flagler asked that the new jail be built at a further location. P.J. Pauley Jail Company, the same people responsible for building Alcatraz in San Francisco, were employed to construct the prison. The jail served the city of St. Augustine until 1953. It held some of the most violent criminals and carried out capital punishment on a set of gallows on the property.
In 1954, only a year after the jail closed, it was transformed into a local attraction. The building underwent restoration in 1993 by owner Henry L. "Slim" McDaniel. Today, the Old Jail provides guests to St. Augustine with a glimpse into the history of the penal system and the daily life of its prisoners. The St. Augustine Old Jail was added to the U. S. National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
The Old Jail is located at 167 San Marco Avenue, just north of the downtown district. Free parking is available onsite.
$1.00 OFF Adult Admission
Present this coupon at Museum or Old Town Trolley ticket booth. Good for up to 4 adult tickets. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Not valid for online purchases. Must be redeemed at the time of purchase. VisitStAugCoupon23
Dunkin' Donuts — Uptown
Alms + Fare
Places to Stay nearby
Hilton Garden Inn -- Historic District
Holiday Inn St. Augustine
Best Western Historical Inn
Admission | Ticket Prices
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
St. Augustine Tours
Ghosts & Gravestones Tour Boston 4.5
Prepare yourself for a Frightseeing Adventure like none other as your resident Ghost Host shares tales both true and truly unnerving of the city’s tumultuous past. Discover the secrets of the Tolomato Cemetery and the apparition seen playing on the sacred grounds after dark. Could it be the spirit of five-year-old James or is it the Ghost Bride, still waiting for her walk down the aisle. Be sure to keep a watchful eye while passing by the old City Gates. You might catch a glimpse of Elizabeth, a child victim of the yellow fever, waving to passersby.
- 1 hour and 20-minute narrated tour by our talented ghost hosts
- Stories come from years of research, personal accounts and hauntingly real-life experiences
- Exclusive nighttime experience inside of Potter’s Wax Museum’s Chamber of Horrors
- Enter the town's most haunted building, the Old Jail, for an up close and personal encounter
- Visit Cromwell's Parlour of Paranormal Curiosities
- As Seen on The Today Show, Sci-Fi Channel and Travel Channel
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
DO YOU BELIEVE? Take a HAUNTINGLY fun journey with our costumed Ghost Hosts on this unique and eerily entertaining hour-long riding tour of the Nation’s Oldest City! Hear about St. Augustine’s most haunted sites aboard our open-air trolleys, perfect for taking pictures. Our stories come from years of research, personal accounts, and real-life paranormal experiences. Goosebumps are likely, nightmares doubtful. Reserve your spot now on St. Augustine’s favorite family-friendly ghost tour!
- Drive by and hear of St. Augustine’s most haunted sites including the Old Jail, City Gates, and Huguenot Cemetery.
- Live narrated tour by our talented Ghost Hosts.
- Stories come from years of research, personal accounts and real-life paranormal experiences.
- Open-air trolleys, perfect for taking pictures.
- 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Old Jail After Dark 4.8
Prepare yourself for a night you’ll never forget at The Old Jail After Dark. Our 2 hour and 30-minute experience allows visitors to participate in an actual paranormal investigation of St. Augustine’s most haunted building, the Old Jail.
- Participate in an actual paranormal investigation with our expert guides
- Get hands-on with the latest ghost hunting equipment
- Learn the darker side of the Old Jail and the spirits that refused to move on
- Maximum group size of 12 people per investigation
- As seen on Ghost Hunters and Kindred Spirits
Old Town Trolley Tours St Augustine 4.6
With nearly 500 years of history, including rule by Spain, Britain, and the U.S., St. Augustine is full of sights and attractions that entertain and educate. For over 30 years, Old Town Trolley has provided tours highlighting the best of the city.
- 1 day of free unlimited re-boarding
- Hop On & Off at 21 Old Town Trolley Stops
- Voted Best Guided Tour by 'Best in St. Augustine 2023'
- Open air sightseeing perfect for taking pictures
- Fully Narrated Tour of St. Augustine
- More than 100 Points of Interest
- FREE Admission to St. Augustine History Museum
- FREE Beach Shuttle to Alligator Farm and the Beach
- EXCLUSIVE stops at Old Jail, Potter’s Wax Museum & Old Drug Store
- Complimentary hotel shuttle service
Potter's Wax Museum 4.6
Potter’s Wax Museum is a fun, family-friendly attraction that offers a surreal experience with famous Hollywood stars, professional athletes, and political figures.
- Potter’s Wax Museum is home to more than 160 different wax figures
- The museum’s collection includes people who’ve played an important part in history
- Potter’s Wax Museum offers an entertaining time for adults and children of all ages
- Birthday MM/DD
- Traveling in the next 7 days? Receive this limited time offer!
- Washington DC
- St. Augustine
- HOME Main nav menu item
- MAPS & STOPS Main nav menu item
- Things to DO Main nav menu item
- SCHEDULE Main nav menu item
- FAQS Main nav menu item
Old Town Trolley Tours St Augustine 4.6
PLAN YOUR TOUR
Do You Believe?
Take a HAUNTINGLY fun journey with our costumed Ghost Hosts on this unique and eerily entertaining hour-long riding tour of the Nation’s Oldest City! Hear about St. Augustine’s most haunted sites aboard our open-air trolleys, perfect for taking pictures. Our stories come from years of research, personal accounts, and real-life paranormal experiences. Goosebumps are likely, nightmares doubtful. Reserve your spot now on St. Augustine’s favorite family-friendly ghost tour!
So, intrepid traveler, better catch some zzzzzzs because, after your visit to Ghost Town, you may never sleep again!
Tickets & Schedule
Here’s all that small print stuff you may want to look over.
Old Town Trolley Welcome Center, 27 San Marco Ave.
Tours and times vary depending on the time of the year. See calendar for dates and times.
Ghost Town Trolley is open to guests of all ages. Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. The tour is rated PG and may contain material not suitable for some children.
Reservations are required. Reservation-based tickets are non-refundable. You may reschedule up to 24 hours in advance of tour time by calling 844-388-6452. Guests must check-in 20 minutes prior to tour time. Within 20 minutes of tour time, seat(s) are subject to cancellation.
ACCESSIBILITY & SAFETY
Ghost Town Trolley is not wheelchair accessible; please see our attendant for other accessibility options. If a guest is ambulatory, they can elect to leave their scooter or wheelchair with the attendant and retrieve it at the end of the tour. Service animals are the only animals that are allowed onboard the trolleys, which the ADA defines as any dog that is trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as “Service Animals” under the Americans with Disabilities Act.