- Cast & crew
- User reviews
Spookley the square pumpkin.
- Spookley Song Written by Joe Troiano & Jeffrey Zahn Performed by Little Tom ,Big Tom ,Jack the Scarecrow and the Honeydoos
- If I was Round Written by Joe Troiano & Jeffrey Zahn Performed by Sonja Bell (as Spookley)
- The Boo Song Written by Joe Troiano & Jeffrey Zahn Performed by Edgar,Allen and Poe
- The Bug Song Written by Joe Troiano & Jeffrey Zahn Performed by Boris & Edgar, Allen and Poe
- The Transylvania Twist Written by Joe Troiano & Jeffrey Zahn Performed by Bobby Pickett (as Bobby "Boris Monster Mash" Pickett) and The Honeydoos
Contribute to this page
- IMDb Answers: Help fill gaps in our data
- Learn more about contributing
More from this title
More to explore.
Free Read: Spookley the Square Pumpkin: The Musical!
Based on the bestselling books and animated special, Spookley The Square Pumpkin: The Musical is no tricks and nothing but a treat for all audiences!
Airing every year on Disney, Spookley has been a long time Halloween tradition for families all across the country. Now it's time to bring this Halloween hero to your stage in this Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) adaptation.
We invite you to read the libretto FOR FREE!
Read for Free
Spookley The Square Pumpkin: The Musical is more than a Halloween hit. With a message of acceptance, Spookley has become an essential tool for dealing with bullying and social wellbeing. In October 2018, Spookley the Square Pumpkin returns as the "Official Spokes-Pumpkin" for National Bullying Prevention Month through a partnership with PACER's National Bullying Prevention Center. For more information on Spookley's activities with PACER, visit: www.PACER.org/Bullying/
Available to educators, an Enrichment Guide provides classroom activities, recommended reading, and other resources.
MTI has secured licensing rights to the beloved children's stage show, Spookley The Square Pumpkin: The Musical.
Based on the wildly popular books and animated special, with book and lyrics by Spookley author Joe Troiano and music composed by Jeffrey Zahn, Spookley The Square Pumpkin: The Musical combines the spectacle and joy of Halloween with delightful songs that people of all ages will love! Airing every year on Disney, the animated television special, adapted from the bestselling Spookley book series, has been a long time Halloween tradition for families all across the country. A musical with a big heart, Spookley The Square Pumpkin: The Musical is no tricks and nothing but a treat for all audiences!
Spookley The Square Pumpkin: The Musical tells the story of a square pumpkin living in a round pumpkin patch on Holiday Hill Farm. Shunned by the other pumpkins, Spookley is befriended by Edgar, Allan and Poe, three hilarious spiders, who convince him that, square or not, he has a right to be the Pick of the Patch. Encouraged by kindly Jack Scarecrow, Spookley tries his best, but he isn't sure he has what it takes until a mighty storm threatens Holiday Hill Farm. Spookley realizes it is up to him and his square shape to save the day. As a result, all the pumpkins in the patch learn that the things that make you different make you special.
The original production of Spookley The Square Pumpkin: The Musical , directed and conceived by Jeff Frank and First Stage, premiered in Milwaukee in 2015 to sold out performances. In 2016, a second production was mounted by Stages Theatre Company in Minneapolis and it broke all prior attendance records for the season.
"It has been an honor for me to work with so many talented people in bringing Spookley's story and these songs to life on the stage. And it has been a thrill to watch audiences of kids and parents respond so positively, especially knowing that many of the kids are experiencing musical theater for the first time," said Joe Troiano who also wrote the children's book The Legend of Spookley The Square Pumpkin as well as the animated special.
MTI's President and CEO, Drew Cohen stated, " Spookley , with its universal themes and delightful score is perfect for all audiences, year-round. Of course, with a main character who is a pumpkin, it is uniquely well-suited for the fall season and we are thrilled to make Spookley available in time for Halloween season this year. Spookley's track record of commercial success reflects how beloved this character-and indeed this musical-have become."
Spookley The Square Pumpkin: The Musical is more than a Halloween hit. With a message of acceptance, Spookley has become an essential tool for dealing with bullying and social well-being. Available to educators, an Enrichment Guide provides classroom activities, recommended reading, and other resources. In October 2018, Spookley the Square Pumpkin returns as the "Official Spokes-Pumpkin" for National Bullying Prevention Month through a partnership with PACER's National Bullying Prevention Center. For more information on Spookley's activities with PACER, visit: www.PACER.org/Bullying/
About the author
- Films and specials based on books
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin
- View history
- 3 Characters
- 6 External links
Synopsis [ ]
Spookley the Square Pumpkin is found in the pumpkin patch by two bats, Boris and Bella. The round pumpkins tease Spookley, which makes him sad. At first the other pumpkins make fun of him because Spookley is square. Among the other pumpkins in the patch are Bobo, a vain female pumpkin; and Tom, which is actually two different-sized pumpkins (Big Tom and Little Tom) held together on the same vine.
Jack (the scarecrow) organizes the pumpkins in the patch to compete in the 'Jack-a-Lympics' contest, an athletic competition designed to determine the "Pick of the Patch" for Halloween. Three spiders (Edgar, Allen, and Poe), who show sympathy for Spookley, decide to help him in the 'Jack-a-Lympics' just so they can help themselves to the prize, a crown made of candy corn. Throughout the competition, Big Tom and Little Tom are repeatedly disqualified for using their vine to give them an unfair advantage, leaving third-place finisher Bobo the winner of most of the events. Spookley turns out to be a total failure at all the events, leaving him discouraged.
As Bobo is crowned the winner and the spiders abandon Spookley to help themselves to her crown, a severe wind storm hits the pumpkin patch, pushing the pumpkins all over and pinning Jack under a flaming tree branch. Spookley, because he is square, does not roll away when the wind hits him (unlike the other pumpkins) and, through some moments of ingenuity, rescues Jack from being burned alive and his fellow pumpkins from being washed away in the river. The other pumpkins show gratitude for saving them.
After the storm, the farmer goes into the patch to assess the damage and discovers Spookley. The farmer is charmed by Spookley's square shape and decides to make the square pumpkin his own personal jack-o'-lantern.
- "Spookley the Square Pumpkin"
- "If I Was Round"
- "I Love 'em All"
- "Transylvania Twist"
- "Spookley the Square Pumpkin" (Reprise)
Characters [ ]
- Jack Scarecrow
- Boris and Bella
- Edgar, Allen, and Poe
- Big Tom and Little Tom
- The Honeydoos
- Farmer Hill
- Differences is what makes us special
- You can't judge a book -or a pumpkin- by its cover
- People can change their habits
- What others think of you is not important
- Never give up
- Believe in yourself
- The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin by Joe Troiano was followed by another book about Spookley that took place on Thanksgiving day called Spookley the Square Pumpkin: A Family to be Thankful For .
- Spookley was actually played by a well known female voice actor, Sonja Bell , who also plays the other two high-pitched voiced Honeydoos.
- The Spookley the Square Pumpkin movie was later made into a musical.
- Spookley was made the national "spokes pumpkin" for October's National Anti-Bullying Month.
- Besides Spookley the Square Pumpkin , the Holiday Hill Farm series has published other holiday related books including Mistletoe and the Christmas Kittens, Lyla the Lovesick Ladybug, Jellybean and the Unbreakable Egg, and Beacon the Bright Little Firefly .
- None of the characters from the movie appeared in the book except for Spookley and Farmer Hill. However, Jack Scarecrow appears in the book Spookley the Square Pumpkin: A Family to be Thankful For.
- In the read along edition of The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin included in the DVD and CD set , the narrator is Bobby "Boris" Pickett who produced the Halloween classic song "The Monster Mash". He also does "The Transylvania Twist" during the end credits and on the music cd.
- Holiday Hill Farm production released another Spookley movie in December 2019 titled Spookley and the Christmas Kittens loosely based on the book Mistletoe and the Christmas Kittens .
External links [ ]
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin at the Internet Movie Database
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin official website .
- 1 List of Halloween television episodes
- 2 2023 Halloween Special and Movie Schedule
- 3 Ed, Edd n Eddy's Boo Haw Haw
Log in or sign up for Rotten Tomatoes
Trouble logging in?
Email not verified
Let's keep in touch.
Sign up for the Rotten Tomatoes newsletter to get weekly updates on:
- Upcoming Movies and TV shows
- Trivia & Rotter Tomatoes Podcast
- Media News + More
OK, got it!
Movies / TV
No results found.
- What's the Tomatometer®?
Movies in theaters
- Opening this week
- Coming soon to theaters
- Certified fresh movies
Movies at home
- Netflix streaming
- Amazon prime
- Most popular streaming movies
- What to Watch New
Certified fresh picks
- Killers of the Flower Moon Link to Killers of the Flower Moon
- The Royal Hotel Link to The Royal Hotel
- The Burial Link to The Burial
New TV Tonight
- Rick and Morty: Season 7
- Everyone Else Burns: Season 1
- Neon: Season 1
- Wolf Like Me: Season 2
- Bosch: Legacy: Season 2
- Upload: Season 3
- Billy the Kid: Season 2
- The American Buffalo: Season 1
- Living for the Dead: Season 1
- Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Remix: Season 1
Most Popular TV on RT
- The Fall of the House of Usher: Season 1
- Sex Education: Season 4
- Loki: Season 2
- Lessons in Chemistry: Season 1
- Frasier: Season 1
- Gen V: Season 1
- Our Flag Means Death: Season 2
- Lupin: Season 3
- Star Wars: Ahsoka: Season 1
- The Haunting of Hill House: Season 1
- Top TV Shows
- Certified Fresh TV
- Most popular TV
Certified fresh pick
- Lessons in Chemistry: Season 1 Link to Lessons in Chemistry: Season 1
- All-Time Lists
- Binge Guide
- Comics on TV
- Five Favorite Films
- Video Interviews
- Weekend Box Office
- Weekly Ketchup
- What to Watch
All Friday the 13th Movies Ranked By Tomatometer
The 100 Best 2000s Horror Movies
What to Watch: In Theaters and On Streaming
Celebrating Hispanic Heritage
Weekend Box Office Results: Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour Rocks a $96 Million Opening Weekend
Rotten Tomatoes Is Wrong
- Trending on RT
- New TM Scores
- TAYLOR SWIFT | THE ERAS TOUR
- Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning
Spookley the Square Pumpkin
2004, Kids & family/Holiday, 45m
You might also like
Where to watch spookley the square pumpkin.
Watch Spookley the Square Pumpkin with a subscription on Netflix, rent on Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, or buy on Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu.
Rate And Review
Rate this movie
Oof, that was Rotten.
Meh, it passed the time.
It’s good – I’d recommend it.
So Fresh: Absolute Must See!
What did you think of the movie? (optional)
You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.
Step 2 of 2
How did you buy your ticket?
Let's get your review verified..
AMCTheatres.com or AMC App New
Cinemark Coming Soon
We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future.
Regal Coming Soon
Theater box office or somewhere else
By opting to have your ticket verified for this movie, you are allowing us to check the email address associated with your Rotten Tomatoes account against an email address associated with a Fandango ticket purchase for the same movie.
You're almost there! Just confirm how you got your ticket.
Spookley the square pumpkin photos.
A scarecrow and a spider trio help an odd-shaped pumpkin overcome his feelings of shame and inadequacy.
Genre: Kids & family, Holiday, Adventure, Animation
Original Language: English
Director: Bernie Denk
Writer: Tom Hughes
Release Date (Streaming): Jan 4, 2016
Production Co: Holiday Hill Farm
Cast & Crew
Spookley, Other Honeydoos Voice
Jack the Scarecrow Voice
Holly G. Frankel
Bella, Other Honeydoos Voice
Little Tom, Edgar Voice
Big Tom Voice
News & Interviews for Spookley the Square Pumpkin
New on Netflix in September 2019: New Movies, TV Shows, Netflix Original Series
Critic Reviews for Spookley the Square Pumpkin
Audience reviews for spookley the square pumpkin.
There are no featured reviews for Spookley the Square Pumpkin because the movie has not released yet ().
Movie & TV guides
Shop Rotten Tomatoes: Game, Gifts Cards & More
RT Podcasts: Rotten Tomatoes is Wrong
What to Watch - In theaters & streaming
Spookley the Square Pumpkin
- SEP 12, 2023
- First Times - Single
- If I Was Round
- Spookley the Square Pumpkin: The Musical · 2022
- Look at Spookley
- Halloween Songs - EP · 2022
- The Transylvania Twist
- The Boo Song
- It's Halloween
- Don't Go Near the River
- I'm Gonna Try
- A Place Called Home
- Spookley and the Christmas Kittens (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) · 2022
- I'm Gonna Try (Reprise)
Singles & EPs
Similar artists, the citizens of halloween, bobby "boris" pickett & the crypt-kickers, andrea mazzarino, super simple songs, catherine o'hara, dbone and the remains, jeff iftekaruddin, veggietales, select a country or region, africa, middle east, and india.
- Côte d’Ivoire
- Congo, The Democratic Republic Of The
- Niger (English)
- Congo, Republic of
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- Tanzania, United Republic Of
- United Arab Emirates
- Indonesia (English)
- Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Malaysia (English)
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- France (Français)
- Luxembourg (English)
- Moldova, Republic Of
- North Macedonia
- Portugal (Português)
- United Kingdom
Latin America and the Caribbean
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Argentina (Español)
- Bolivia (Español)
- Virgin Islands, British
- Cayman Islands
- Chile (Español)
- Colombia (Español)
- Costa Rica (Español)
- República Dominicana
- Ecuador (Español)
- El Salvador (Español)
- Guatemala (Español)
- Honduras (Español)
- Nicaragua (Español)
- Paraguay (Español)
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- St. Vincent and The Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos
- Uruguay (English)
- Venezuela (Español)
The United States and Canada
- Canada (English)
- Canada (Français)
- United States
- Estados Unidos (Español México)
- الولايات المتحدة
- États-Unis (Français France)
- Estados Unidos (Português Brasil)
- 美國 (繁體中文台灣)
« All Events
Spookley The Square Pumpkin The Musical
November 3 @ 7:00 pm.
Date : Friday, November 3, 2023 @ 7:00pm Tickets : $10-$12
The Loveland Players Present Spookley The Square Pumpkin The Musical
Book and Lyrics by Joe Troiano
Music Composed & Arranged by Jeffrey Zahn
Based on the book written by Joe Troiano
Based on the wildly popular books and animated special, Spookley combines the spectacle and joy of Halloween with the delightful songs that people of all ages will love! It tells the story of a square pumpkin living in a round pumpkin patch on Holiday Hill Farm. Featuring area professionals as well as Loveland participants in the cast.
- Google Calendar
- Outlook 365
- Outlook Live
- « I Need Help: Support for Caregivers
- Spookley The Square Pumpkin The Musical »